Monday, October 22, 2012

"The Awakening" by Kelley Armstrong

The book "The Awakening" by Kelley Armstrong is about a group of young supernaturals that are on the run from the dangerous Edison Group, a group hunting them down for their enhanced supernatural abilities, supposedly potentially dangerous.

I thought this book was a great addition to the series, and a pretty good sequel. I think, though, the each book is missing key points that make a story really unbearable.

The book has great elements, a nice writing style, and very interesting mythology. The characters are unique and not exactly falling into the common mold for the YA-fiction-with-female-lead archetypes, but coming pretty close. I mean, that character type draws people in, so the book is interpreted easily in people who like that kind of book (like myself), and people who like a deeper story and background as well (like myself).

Some things I didn't like about it was that the story was missing climactic moments. I will admit that the story had me following it very closely, excited, but I never had a, "wow" moment. I always felt like either the book should have been longer or added to another book. I guess that author knew that this was a series when she wrote it.

Books like this aren't necessarily a bad thing, but are worse in my opinion when the books are made so to impress the publisher or reader, so they demand a second, third or fourth. This isn't always the case obviously, but it feels like it sometimes.

The books also hit many of the same danger moments, or conflicts. Sure, there's character development and internal conflicts, but between this book and the first, no major changes were made. Even the physical conflicts were the same, being chased. It's the main conflict, but no really new additions were made besides discoveries in the background, which was interesting.

I'm in the midst of reading the third book now, and it's almost the same deal. I love it, and really hope to see how the two series intertwine in the third book of the Darkness Rising series. I also am hopefully anticipating a mash-up of the two in the future... very excited. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment