Wednesday, February 13, 2013

"Breathing Underwater" by Alex Flinn

**Spoilers!**


Breathing Underwater is the story of Nick, a seemingly perfect and popular high school student who is charged with a restraining order on his ex-girlfriend, Caitlin. But why? Nick doesn't think he did anything wrong. He just taught her a lesson. The book chronicles his journey to his anger management classes that will "help him", and overall just his journey to redemption.

I enjoyed this book a lot. My favorite moments were the letters, and seeing how bad the abuse got in the relationship. I couldn't really imagine anyone besides some alcoholic father (like Nick's dad) abusing anyone, but this really shows me that abuse can happen for lots of reasons, and isn't always the reasons we think. I also was surprised about the relationship itself, and gave me an insight to an abusive relationship. The book showed me a lot about the kind of people who get caught in relationships like this, people like Caitlin who don't think they're good enough because of someone (Caitlin's mom), who think the person will be their only hope at a relationship. Also it was interesting that Nick didn't think he was being that harsh, or that we was wrong. It made me really worried for others who are in situations like this, and how they might not even know what they're doing is wrong.

Also is made me sad that Caitlin's or Nick's friends didn't try to help Caitlin when they saw something wrong about the relationship. I think if I ever saw a friend in trouble I would have to tell them, even if it meant losing a friendship. 

Overall, this book was really interesting and emotional to read, and I enjoyed it. The movement to Nick's "redemption" was well written, as Alex Flinn is awesome. Read it!

8 comments:

  1. Great post Emma! I have also read this book and really enjoyed it. It also appeared strange to me that Nick didn't even think he was hurting Caitlin, however, I assume that this is the case for many who are abusive in reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting :). And yeah, I agree. Thankfully, I've never had to experience or known personally of this kind of abuse, so my knowledge is very limited. The book did explain many things about abusiveness to me however.

      Delete
  2. Great post Emma, like Holly and yourself, I have read this book and enjoyed it immensely. I think that Nick was in denial about hurting Caitlin because dealing with the realness of it would mean facing his father's abuse and his own flawed psyche. No one wants to think of themselves as a monster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I read this comment Zoe, I think that you're probably right. I agree with you, but I also think it's partially the way he was raised. He was in denial, but also he thought that he should have total control over the relationship. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. This sounds really interesting!! You did a really good job of describing the story without saying too much, and sharing your opinion on the issues. I agree completely, I would have to help my friends, but this sounds like it does a very good job of opening the readers eyes to other issues in teen life. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book looks really good! You did a great job responding to it. Abusive relationships are common and very scary. They usually take long periods of time to get over and can be fatal. I think it is interesting, like you said, how the abuser doesn't see the problem in what he or she is doing. I also think it is strange how the person getting abused usually stands up for their abusive partner even though they are getting injured. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really understood how people can abuse others, but I guess it comes from some sort of denial in past experiences or a strong belief in something that makes you want to hurt someone, for some reason. It was eye opening to see this relationship from the abusers POV.

      Delete