Sunday, January 6, 2013

"What's Left of Me" by Kat Zhang

**Slight Spoilers!**

What's Left of Me, by Kat Zhang, describes a world where humans are born with two souls, and the country America, now containing both South and North America, has been all but cut off from the rest of the world. These two-souled humans, called "hybrids" are seen as dangers to society, outcasts, and illegal in the U.S. The book follows Addie, who's know a freshman in high school. Her sister soul, Eva, had trouble"settling", or receding so Addie could live as one person. But Addie holds a deep secret- Eva never settled. She still lives deep inside Addie, paralyzed, as she watches the world through their eyes.

I liked this book, I guess. It was an interesting enough idea to base a book off of, and I enjoyed to read it, but I just felt like the plot was recycled, the characters didn't really make realistic choices, and there were some holes in the lore and history of the world.

The first two reasons I didn't exactly love this book go hand in hand. The plot was so predictable. There were little insignificant plot twists everywhere, but I felt like nothing really made me want to re-read a chapter or something. This was partly because of the predictability of the characters. For instance, it would have been far more interesting if Addie/Eva (how I will refer to them from now on) would have ran after Devon/Ryan told her to. I mean, Addie/Eva knew they were going to be taken away from their family either way, so why be taken to a horrible place where children are said to be institutionalized? Who knows. I'm not exactly going to say the character was a Mary-Sue, but it was a little clear that Eva represented a more adventurous side, possibly what the author wanted to be, and Addie represented who the author thought she was. This was also the author's first book, which further enforces my idea.

Also, possibly because this was her book, the author skimped on much background information that would have made the story clearer. One thing, why is the government against hybrids? It's very loosely explained. "Oh, other countries have them, and we don't like other countries!" "People can sometimes go insane from them!" (which ended up not even being true). It just confused me. I guess we can assume that people in this world were just afraid of what they didn't know, but that would also just make the whole scenario a lot more boring. Possibly a more substantial explanation would be revealed later in the series, as I assume it will be.

Overall, I enjoyed the book, but it didn't impress me. I will try to read the rest of the series, just to finish the story, but it wouldn't be on my top ten list of best books this year or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment