Sunday, April 28, 2013

"There is No Dog" by Meg Rosoff

When Bob, the adolescent god of Earth, a small, unwanted planet (Simply placed upon Bob as none of the other celestial deities wanted it), falls in love with a human, and more importantly mortal, girl, the world turns upside down. Bob wreaks havoc on the little planet, and his under rewarded, fed up assistant, Mr. B, can do nothing to stop it. At the same time, his much ignored pet, Eck, the last one of the Ecks, is gambled off by Bob's mother to be eaten, and Bob does not care in the least. It falls on the shoulders of Estelle, a logical young immortal being, who is the daughter of the very god trying to eat Eck, and of course, Mr. B, while they also try to stop the world from being thrown into an environmental disaster from hormones. 

I just reread this book, and I am disappointed by the amount of appreciation I gave it. Though, the things I don't like about it still stand, I enjoy it much more than I did when I first read it. The book is funny, sarcastic, dynamic, and borderline blasphemous. All things I enjoy (though not specifically blasphemy, I just enjoy questioning beliefs and norms given to humans).  The book, though silly at times, takes up a couple serious questions. First of all, obviously, "Does God exist?" Followed by, "Why does God, if he does exist, do what he does?" "Who gave God the right to do these things?" All of these are woven quite nicely into the plot, and leave you with something to think about at the end.

Some problems that I had with this book were that the pace changed drastically at the end. They sped it up too much! I don't like when people rush books, especially at the end, which makes it seem like they weren't committed, and just threw it out there when they got bored. 

The actually end, in theory, was great however. It wasn't executed well, but it worked very well for the plot. It told so sweetly the companionship- love-friendship-(?) of Mr. B and Estelle. I wanted them to be together the whole book. I also wanted to punch Bob in the face. He was one of the most annoying, bratty characters I've ever read. Which I guess was the point, but, oh, God, did I want him to get thrown into space. Also, what is with the bureaucracy of these immortal, all powerful beings? They just throw the obviously worst choice into the job? Who does that? Don't they take any sort of progress report? I mean Bob did great things at first, but he was a whiny baby, not even capable of taking care of himself, let alone a whole planet. 

Some of the writing style of the author put me off a bit too, which had to do with the skimmed end of the book, but it was still enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment