Wednesday, November 14, 2012

"The Adoration of Jenna Fox" by Mary E. Pearson

**Spoilers! Small Spoiler for the Fox Inheritance**

I just finished The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E Pearson. The book was about how Jenna Fox, a teenage girl who just woke up from a year long coma after a terrible accident, tries to find the mystery surrounding her "old" life, the tense and strange activities of her family, and why exactly so suddenly she moved away from the only life she ever knew. Exactly how much happened to Jenna so she could survive from the critical condition she was in at the hospital?

I loved this book! It was full of mystery, and had a lot of amazing story telling and world building in it too. That's one of my favorite things about books or TV shows, imagining the world the characters live in and trying to establish a whole history for it. The futuristic world Jenna Fox lives in is really interesting too, as Pearson incorporates modern issue now and evolves them, not just making up random issues. She also completely immerses you into the world, not trying to tell readers what happened, but show them, and let them draw their own conclusions.

One thing I didn't like about this book was the ending. Sure, it was a good ending to the story itself, but I feel like that the epilogue was kind of just written off. It's a pet peeve of mine when a story has a non-suspenseful ending, or just a ending that kind of ends on a flat note. It's okay if the ending it happy, but I want it to make sense with the characters. It kind of just skipped to "Now it's 260 years later!!" Maybe if it was longer, or I don't know, less Jenna just talking directly to the reader and talking about how her and Ethan marry, have kids, and her life story, and more her implying all these things as Pearson did so well before, would have made me happier.

I do know that this is a series, and I am already reading the second book, The Fox Inheritance. It hasn't lived up to the first book yet, but I do like Locke as a character, and like Kara as a parallel to Locke. Kind of spoiling the second book, but I'm pretty sure that's in the blurb.

All in all, this was a pretty great book, and recommend it to the fans of books like Hunger Games, Wither, and The Uglies trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment